Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Welcome to Base Camp

Since moving to the US Northwest, I've become more familiar with mountainy things...I spent most of my life in the greater metro area of 'Far' Eastern Kansas.  City - yes. Rolling hills - yes. Proper mountains - no.   Ruby shoes - not those either (hehehe)  

My husband, on the other hand, grew up in the mountains - proper mountains.  So we've been here nearly 9 years now and I still feel a little like a fish out of water.  I love the outdoors, I love walks and hikes, babbling streams, and tall pine trees.  I do not like, however, 100 ft cliffs, drop-offs, nor switchback roads.  Meadows, tall grass, and the gentle breezes call me.  

One thing that I had to learn pretty quick was to ALWAYS BE PREPARED when in the mountains, or even when driving through the mountains.  Remember the 1988 movie, The Man From Snowy River?  When the two main characters are riding horseback up in the mountains and the girl says, 'It's so beautiful here.' to which the guy replies, 'yeah, the mountains are always changing' .. I don't remember exactly, but the conversation is such that they are in awe of the beauty and majesty of the scenery but must be critically aware of the weather... their surroundings. 

Our walk with the LORD is similar.  It's the most beautiful walk we'll ever encounter; yet there is a very real enemy always lurking about seeking to destroy us.  We must WATCH and PRAY.  

LESSON 1 | BASE CAMP download & print

Our strength and nourishment for our walk with the LORD comes from the LORD himself and we have easy access to him by Jesus Christ .. the Word of God.  Not only did Jesus give his life an atonement for sin but also gave us the written Word of God for our instruction, reproof, encouragement, comfort, strengthening .. our life.  In Jesus, we have all that pertains to life and godliness. (II Peter 1:3)

In this first week in A Year in Psalms, lets start with Psalm 23.  Psalm 23 will be our base camp.  
In mountaineering terms, base camp is an area used for staging an attempt at the summit.  Base camps are positioned to be safe from the harsher conditions above, a place of refuge, a respite along the journey.

Like all good mountaineers, hikers, and campers, we need to sit down and have a talk with someone who has been there before, who knows the best trails, knows what to avoid and where the 'can't miss' views are located.  We need to get our pack ready.  Our experienced and faithful guide is the LORD Jesus Christ himself, as it is written of him : our chief Shepherd. (I Peter 5:4) Jesus is the Author and Finisher of our faith.  He knows it all!! 

Verse one of Psalm 23 reads: "The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want."  
First and foremost, we cannot do this alone.  All smart and living mountaineers know that you don't travel alone.  It is far too risky and dangerous.  

In our life, especially our life walk with the LORD God, we cannot go it alone.  It is impossible.  Have no fear, the LORD is our Shepherd.  Let's get over to base camp and see what the LORD has ready for us.

Have you met Jesus Christ, the great Shepherd?  He is the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE and no man can come to GOD THE FATHER but by him. 

Sin, lies, and the cares of this world will hinder and prevent people from coming to God.  God Almighty is God .. He is HOLY, and Righteous and gave his only begotten son, Jesus Christ as our perfect Saviour. God gave the world Jesus.  Jesus obeyed God his Father and left heaven, was born a man of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on the cross and took all the sin of all humanity, was buried, and God raised him from the dead on the third day -- alive! victorious!   

When we realize our depravity, sin, and hopelessness, our need of God by Jesus Christ and choose to believe that Jesus Christ is who he said he is .. the Son of Almighty God and our redeemer, then we can continue on this trekk toward meeting God face to face. 

IMPORTANT FYI:  Hell is a real place.  Heaven is a real place.  Hell is a place designed for the devil and his angels (aka demons) Matthew 25:41.  God Almighty is not willing that any should perish but that all come to repentance.  (II Peter 3:9)  ALL who reject Jesus as the Son of God and Saviour of men, will go to hell with the devil.  Repentance is a turning away from and forsaking your own self and your own way of doing things and turning to God and obeying God's way of life found in the written Scriptures.  

 However, if you do not repent and call on the name of the LORD and be saved .. well, my friend, you are not allowed passed base camp. (For the purpose of illustration, we are using hiking and mountaineering to give us a picture of our walk with the LORD.  Similar to the parable Jesus told us in the book of John chapter 10.) 

Jesus said that I am the door, .. Let's see in writing what he said:  John 10:6-18

 "This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them. 
 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 
  All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 
  I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. 
  The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. 
  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. 
  But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. 
  The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. 
  I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. 
  As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. 
  And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. 
  Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 
  No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. "
A M E N !

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want"  

Once we have met our great shepherd, we will see what awaits us to get our pack ready, ie; our supplies and equipment... coming up next time .. 

--- DIG DEEPER ---

Define: 
  • CORNERSTONE
  • SUPPLIES
  • FOUNDATION
  • REFUGE
Look Up:  
  • Psalm 37
  • Luke 20:17
  • I Peter 2:7
  • Ephesisans 6:10-19


No comments:

Post a Comment